Commission on XAFS
This is a new Commission formed at the IUCr XVII General Assembly. It is
expected to have strong links with the International XAFS Society.
See The IXS Society Home Page
Terms of reference
The Commission on XAFS was established at the Seattle General Assembly in 1996.
In the following by XAFS is meant the fine structure associated with the
inner shell excitation (both near edge and extended) by various probes
(e.g., absorption or scattering of X-ray, electrons), and related techniques
for which the data is interpreted on the same physical basis.
- To promote the development and acceptance of standards and criteria in XAFS measurements and analysis so as to improve the
overall quality of the research being performed in the field.
- To interact with the organizing committee of the International
XAFS Society to contribute to the organization of the biannual
International XAFS meetings.
- To increase the interaction and coordination among researchers
who are involved in XAFS research.
- To increase the interaction between researchers in the XAFS field
and other groups in the IUCr who have the common goal of
understanding the structure of matter and its relation to properties.
- To promote the improvement of the experimental facilities for
XAFS at synchrotron sources.
- To help develop courses to teach the advanced techniques of
measurement and analysis of XAFS.
- To cooperate with other Commissions of the IUCr in establishing
adequate guidelines and standards for articles to be published in
IUCr journals reporting structural investigations of materials.
- To advise the IUCr on organizing or sponsoring sessions on
XAFS at Congresses.
- To coordinate a database on XAFS with IUCr.
Updated 26 September 1997
XAFS Commission Webmaster